VTT Summer Internships 2019; Research Trainee, Superconducting quantum technology (6049)
Form of employment: Full time, Fixed term
Locations: Espoo, Finland
Job area: Sensing and integration
Application period: Monday, January 21, 2019 - Thursday, February 28, 2019
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT´s turnover and other operating income is 258 M€. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious. www.vttresearch.com
Do you want to join our Applied Quantum Electronics team? We have wide expertise in low temperature physics, sensors, and electronics, and cover the field from the fundamental science into industrial applications. The team is also a part of the national Centre of Excellence - Quantum technology Finland (https://qtf.fi/) with around 100 researchers from the leading institutions in Finland.
With us you will be responsible for experimental activities in the field of superconducting quantum technology. The particular tasks include running measurements in our sub-Kelvin cryogenic facilities, related to the development of materials, structures, and devices for quantum computation and sensing. Depending on the applicant’s interests and project needs, the topics include characterization of microwave and low-frequency properties of superconducting thin film materials, structures, and devices such as ultra-low-loss microwave resonators for qubit systems, superconducting nanowires, and Josephson parametric amplifiers.
• Setting up and executing measurements in our dilution refrigerator laboratory
• Programming measurement and data collection scripts for automated measurement sequences
• Performing data analysis of the measurements
• At least three years of studies in physics, applied physics, or electrical engineering. Our ream also offers Master’s thesis opportunities.
• Eagerness to learn about low-temperature instrumentation, sensing, and physics relevant to applications in quantum technology.
• Working-level programming skills, ideally in Matlab and/or Python.
• Basic understanding of measurements in physics; previous knowledge of laboratory instrumentation is considered an asset.
• Although not required, experience with analog electronics, digital electronics, or RF/microwave are considered an advantage.
• willing to learn continuously new things and to develop your knowledge independently
• You have capabilities to work both independently and as a team member
• You are also interested in manual skills that is practical laboratory and workshop activities
• You are skilled in reporting and disseminating your work, both literally and orally
At VTT, we believe that our impact is built on scientific and technological excellence in all our work. Our people is the core of the next generation VTT. Our personnel’s wellbeing and competence development are key priorities. You will be a part of a creative and international working environment. We offer versatile, independent and challenging tasks and the needed support and coaching. In this particular position, you will be adviced by a more senior researcher nominated as your instructor.
We offer a great opportunity to develop technological competences in Sensing and Integration research area together with VTT´s top experts. You will gain working level understanding on the experimental methodology in experimental low-temperature physics and applications.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate has been found.
For more information please contact Juha Hassel, Principal Scientist, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358407385043
VTT is participating as a responsible employer in The Responsible Summer Job 2019 campaign. As a responsible employer, we commit ourselves to the principles of responsible summer job. Please read more from https://kesaduuni.org/responsible-summer-job/.